Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tummy Time!

Today was the first time I put Ryan on his stomach for some tummy time. I just found out that he should have tummy time every day, multiple times a day, for a few minutes. Here is a video of his first time! It's a little long, but towards the end he starts moving his head back and forth, the type of thing a mother would love! :)

This video is also for my dad who lives in Washington. He hasn't been able to see Ryan yet, only through pictures on the blog. He is so excited to be a grandpa and so I wanted to put this up so he can see how cute his grandson is! My dad is coming to Utah at the beginning of May for Ryan's blessing, and I am so excited! My dad is so awesome and I can't wait for him to meet my little cutie. I am sure that Ryan will love him as much as I do! Love ya, Dad!

Here is the cute video and a few pictures.






I love you! (doing the "I love you" sign)

Ryan loves to sleep with his arms up. I think it's so cute!

Sassy was very needy for attention. She actually tried to sit on Ryan, but parked herself on my legs instead. Silly kitty.

Also, I wondered if any of you other mothers have suggestions for activities to do with a newborn. I tried singing with him today, and I realized I only know a few kid songs. If you have any song suggestions too, I would love to hear them! :)

9 comments:

:: ashley :: said...

Newborn time feels 'boring' sometimes, or I felt like I was a bad mom until I realized, they don't do much! I always loved reading with Corgan he loved the pictures in books, and just laying him on my lap and talking to him-- tummy time is fun once they get a little stronger neck! Its actually the only time he would watch baby dvds too, I could put him in his rocker in front of it while I changes the laundry and he was totally engaged, now he wont watch tv for 30 secnds haha he can move and he'd rather be getting into things!

Gary said...

Thanks to you Shirley for sharing the pics, videos and updates and keeping me posted. I'm excited about coming down in May and seeing Ryan and everyone else, too. I love and miss you all.

Dad

Jill said...

You can't do too much with newborns but I would always talk to my baby along with sing to her. Our favorite songs around here are: Itsy Bitsy Spider, 5 little monkeys, Popcorn popping, and once there was a snowman. It definately gets more fun and exciting once they are a little older but it's never too early to start talking and singing to him.

Suzi said...

It kinda looks like he has that awesome Roush nose...Does he?

Lisa said...

Wow Ryan is so strong!!! I remember he held his head up a little long right after birth.

On the video, I noticed his feet and legs are strong...he is trying to lift his body up.

It is impressing me. I think he will be strong athlete sport in the future...basketball? softball? soccer? lacrosse? skiing or snowboard? Wait and see he is growing up and choose a good sport what he likes.

I love you all.

Mom

Lanae Hale said...

Adorable pictures, Shirley! And I loved the video. I love hearing all the cute baby sounds. I can hardly wait to see you guys again. We'll be coming down mid-April with just the baby. The other kids will be upset, but they can stay home and have fun with Grandma. :)

Missy said...

I took a lot of long videos of Megan too. They didn't seem long to me. My kids hated tummy time. Looks like Ryan doesn't have a problem with it. He is sooooooo cute. I'll probably tell you that every time even thought you already know. :)

Chris and Corie said...

aww, Emily and Ryan really are related!! Emily sleeps the same way :-D. Chris calls it her "I surrender" pose.

I'm actually keep an eye out for "Raffi" Cd's and DVD's. I actually listened to them growing up, and there are lots of fun easy, simple songs to sing. And when he's older, he'll sing them too!! Are there any songs you remember hearing growing up that you could sing to him?

Other songs I sing to Em are Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, "Goodnight Sweetheart" (when we're putting her to sleep)(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlSkdcpSjrM), ABC's, Itsy Bitsy Spider, You are my Sunshine, Baa Baa Black Sheep, any of my favorite songs. Songs from disney movies.

I would often talk to Emily when I didn't know what else to do. It's great for newborns to hear your voice, and hear the various sounds in the English language, and intonation. I'd just read a magazine or website out loud so she could hear it.

Until he's able to hold his head relatively steady, it's really hard to know what to do with him. Some "exercises" we did with emily when she was that age were to have her lay on her back, and then do "bicycles" with her legs. It also helps thier tummys process gas! A nurse showed us that if you let him lay on his back, and slowly pull him up to a sitting by his arms, it helps him to practice using his neck muscles. Obviously, at first his head will hang back, so you want to go slowly and gently, but it gives him opportunities to at least move those neck muscles.

We'd also stretch out her arms, and then pull them back in, repeating over and over, just to give her body some more movement.

This is also a good exercise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRrrgMrpyKg)

Good luck!

James said...

I love the baby-manly grunts! :)