Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Car Seat Safety

My blogging friend, Jefra, just wrote a post on car seat safety. It was so awesome and informational, I just had to post it here!

I don't know how many of us have put much thought into car seats; the only reason I know a bit is because I frequent Babycenter.com's March 2009 group board and read a ton of stuff about kids Ryan's age. I hope this helps someone reading my blog. It is so important, so THANK YOU Jefra for writing this up!


"Child Passenger Safety

So it's my blog and I get to write whatever I want to, right?

Those of you that know me really well know that I am obsessed with car seats and child passenger safety. This sparked my interest when I was a freshman in college and I have been doing a lot of research since then. It is my hope to become a certified car seat technician in the near future so I can help more families and to validate my knowledge to those who may be skeptics. During my time working at the children's hospital I saw a lot of children who were injured (or died) in car accidents when it could have been prevented. That's right people, PREVENTED! You have the opportunity to prevent possible injury or death to your child, which is why this is such an important topic. I apologize for the boldness I may use, but it is to alert you to the seriousness. So why am I writing this (read my p.s. at the bottom)? Because vehicle crashes remain the number one killer of children ages 2-14 in the United States. And because
84% of people do not properly use their car seats! My goal here is to educate you so that YOU may become an advocate for your children. I've heard too many people say things like, "If I only knew, then I could have prevented this tragedy." I hope that someone out there will find this information valuable. If you do, then share it! (By the way, I am not going to explain every detail. So if you are unfamiliar with the terms I use or if you want to learn more, use my reference list at the end to familiarize yourself).

Let's start with infants, since that's where it all begins anyway. Whether you choose to start with an infant carrier or a convertible car seat, it's up to you. Just keep in mind that when a convertible car seat says in fits a 5lb infant, it may not fit your child. That just means that when they did the crash test, they used 5lbs of something. Often times the straps on a convertible car seat are too tall for your tiny newborn. But this is not always the case. With that said, here are some of the most important rules to keep your baby safe.

1. The straps must always be AT or BELOW your child's shoulders, NEVER ABOVE when your baby is rear-facing.
Why? This keeps your delicate infant from moving too much in the event of an accident.
2. The chest clip must always be at armpit level.
Why? Armpit level is right over the breastbone, which is the strongest part. If you have it over your baby's abdomen, it can cause internal injuries in an accident. Why even have a chest clip? Without a chest clip, or if it is too low, your baby can be ejected from the car seat in an accident.
3. Keep your baby's head at midline.
Why? Newborn's heads are floppy and fall to the side. When left like this too long it can cause torticollis (tightening of the neck muscles) and/or plagiocephaly (flat head). These conditions are becoming more and more common as infants are spending more time in their infant carriers (there are many other causes for these conditions as well, many that are not preventable, so never judge a mom).
4. The car seat must be at a 45 degree angle. Why? For proper breathing.
5. When installed properly, the car seat should not move more than 1 inch in any direction. Why? Too much movement can cause injury in a crash. Face it, a car seat that is not installed properly isn't of much use.
6. NEVER put your infant or small child in the front seat! Why? I think you know! Airbags, for one, can kill and have killed children in the front seat. Also, the front seat is sooo dangerous. Keep your kids in the back until they are 13. I am amazed that I still see people with car seats in the front seat! It was a common practice, back when we were kids, to have a car seat in the front. But that was 30 years ago! Get with it people, it's embarrassing.
7. Keep your baby rear-facing for as long as possible! There are many people out there who turn their babies forward facing before they turn a year and that is NEVER okay and there is no justification for it (unless your child has some kind of medical condition that I am unaware of that prevents your baby from riding rear facing)! At a minimum, your child must be at least 20lbs and at least 1 year before you turn them forward facing. Why? A baby who is under a year old has not developed enough strength in his neck to be forward facing. When your baby is rear facing, the impact of a crash is taken in your baby's back, the strongest part of his body. But when you turn him forward facing, your are risking serious injury to your child's neck. The other prerequisite, 20lb minimum, is because your car seat is not built to protect a forward facing infant who is less than 20lbs, which can cause serious injuries (some car seats have minimum of 22lbs, so be sure to read the directions that come with your car seat). Research has shown that an infant should remain rear facing as long as possible because it protects them much better. This is stated on the AAP's website (American Academy of Pediatrics) as well as other reliable sources. Don't tell me that your baby prefers to ride forward facing, they don't know the difference. You are the parent.

Toddlers. Oh toddlers, full of independence and defiance. A lot of toddlers (even infants) really don't like getting buckled up. Believe me, I've been there with a screaming baby or toddler. But deal with. When you are consistent and properly buckle your child in for EVERY car ride, your child does get used to it and the resistance dwindles. You should also set a good example by always wearing your seat belt. Safety is not an option is our house and your children will follow your example. A lot of the same rules apply when you buckle in your toddler.

1. The car seat should not move more than an inch.
2. The chest clip at armpit level.
3. The shoulder straps AT or ABOVE.
4. The straps should be very secure and you should not be able to pinch the straps together (this rule applies to infants as well). This makes a tight fit, but your child gets used to it.
5. Keep your child in a 5-point harness for as long as possible (this protects better than a booster seat). Most convertible car seats only go up to 40lbs, but there are MANY who now have an extended weight limit of 50lbs or even 65lbs. Now a 65lb child may not actually fit into the seat, but this option allows you to keep your child in a 5-point harness definitely until he is 4, but usually a little longer too. A lot of children become to tall for a convertible car seat before they turn 4 and then parents buy a booster seat. I am definitely weary of this. A seat belt does not provide the same level of protection as does a 5-point harness. And developmentally speaking, a 3 year old is often not ready to wear a seat belt, even with a booster seat. They tug on it and sometimes pull it off.

Now on to older children. Why use a booster seat? A small child is not protected with just a seat belt. A booster seat adds height to your child so that the seat belt fits him properly. The seat belt should go across the legs, not the hips. I have seen seat belts crush little hips. And I have seen little girls, with severe internal injuries, who had hysterectomies because of their injuries. Also, the seat belt should not touch your child's neck. I have seen seat belt burn on little one's necks. Using a booster seat is a super easy and affordable way to prevent these injuries. How would you tell your child that this didn't have to happen to them. That you didn't do all you could do to protect them. Sorry for the guilt trip, but from first hand experience it's a horrible thing to see the faces of these innocent children who suffer from these types of injuries. There are a couple types of booster seats to use, backless and those with backs. The ones with backs are good because they support the head and there is a place to loop the seat belt through so it stays off your child's neck. If you have a low seat back in your car, a booster seat with a back is a better choice so that your child's neck and head has support. The backless ones might be appropriate for an older child (maybe 7 or 8) who are already tall enough that the seat belt doesn't touch their neck. When can a child ride without a booster seat? Children should ride in a booster seat until they are at least 8. Many states have booster seat laws requiring children to ride in a booster seat until they are 8 or 9 unless they are 4'9'' or taller. No it's not embarrassing for an 8 year old to ride in a booster seat, since all their friends should be doing the same thing. Set the example and make it a rule in your car.

And now a word on the LATCH system. LATCH stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children. This system came about in order to help make car seat installation easier. It definitely makes for a better fit, but it has also confused people. Almost all cars made after September 1, 2002 are equipped with the LATCH system (some car companies installed these prior to that date). This means that you can install your car seat without using a seat belt. And please, DO NOT use both a seat belt and LATCH. It does not make it safer. In fact it makes it unsafe and wastes time if an emergency crew is trying to get your child out of the car and they have to cut through a seat belt and LATCH. If you are wondering if your car has it, just look. Keep in mind that car companies are only required to have only two LATCH systems, but some have more. It's usually the American car companies that have more. In some cars you will not be able to see the lower anchors, but you can find them if you place your hand in between the seat bottom and seat back. Generally, the American car companies have their lower anchors visible, whereas the foreign car companies hide them deep in the seats (which is annoying). When you use the LATCH you MUST also use the top tether, otherwise the installation is not complete. The top tether keeps the car seat from moving forward in a crash. If you use a seat belt to install your car seat, you can also use the top tether. In fact, it is recommended. Although some cars made before 2002 may not have LATCH, they may have a top anchor. Top anchors are generally located behind the back seat headrest. If you have an SUV, look on the floor behind the back seat. Some cars, like Subaru, place their top anchor on the ceiling. Some smaller cars, such as the Volvo S40, and some trucks, have their top anchors located behind the seat/trunk. It's a super pain in the butt because you have pull the whole seat down and hook on the tether first, then close the seat and finish installing your car seat. If you have a Britax car seat you can also use the top tether rear facing and anchor it to the floor by the front seat. When you buy a Britax it comes with a d-ring just for this purpose. The d-ring goes around the metal part of the seat base that is bolted to the car floor. Some cars, like Volvos already have an anchor on the floor behind the front seat, but most cars do not. The reason you would use the tether rear facing is because it keeps the seat from moving forward (towards the back seat) in a crash. I know you can purchase d-rings from the Britax website if you want to anchor your rear facing convertible car seat, but please check your car seat's manufacturer to see if this would compromise the safety. Britax advertises this versa-tether, but the use of a d-ring may not be appropriate for another brand. D-rings are especially confusing, so please let me know if you would like me to post further pictures and instructions on their use. If you have an older car and you would like a top anchor installed, their are many car dealerships that are authorized to do this. I have never tried it myself, but I have heard of others doing this. The LATCH system cannot be installed in an older vehicle. Lastly, if your child will be using the 5-point harness past 40lbs, the LATCH weight limit on most cars is 40 or 45lbs, but check your vehicle handbook. When your child reaches that weight limit, you must install the car seat with a seat belt.

Which car seat is the best? I am not going to endorse a brand, because that is up to you. But there are things you should know. Car seats expire after 6 years. This isn't just a ploy from the car seat companies to make you spend more money. It is a fact that the plastic on car seats starts to wear over time and it becomes unreliable after six years. And by then, there is better technology anyway. The only exception comes with the convertible/booster seat combo. Some have a life of ten years because you are using the booster seat part. But always double check and read the instructions, because this is not true for all. Anyway, the right seat for you is one that fits your child properly, fits in your car properly, and fits your budget. You can get great discounts online, so shop around for a good deal. Another thing I recommend is to read the reviews on the car seat you are interested in. I love reading the reviews because people tell you the absolute truth and you can really know what you're getting. Also, try before you buy. Some stores do not allow this, but there are many that do. I was surprised that there were certain car seats that did not fit my car. This is just my opinion, but I do recommend getting a convertible car seat that goes to at least 50lbs instead of 40. That way you get the best use out of it and you don't have to worry about your child growing out of it and having to be put into a booster seat prematurely.

If you are not sure how to correctly install your car seat or if you just want to double check, you can go to a car seat safety inspection and a certified car seat technician will teach you how to correctly install your car seat, for FREE! These events are held all time in every state.

So now you know. But it's up to you to do what you want. I don't judge people who do not follow the guidelines and I don't think they are bad parents
(in fact I believe that ALL parents want to do right by their children), I just feel like they are uneducated and lack the information to make an informed decision. If they really knew, I'm sure they would make better choices because no one wants to hurt their child. Throughout this, I have stated fact and true information. My recommendations and opinions were noted.

Feel free to ask me questions! I can post pictures and/or videos if you want a demonstration because I know a lot of this can be confusing. Also, please feel free to add additional information if I have left something out.

One last thing, if you have a child with certain special needs, car seat safety may be a little different. If you would like more information about child passenger safety for a child with special needs, please let me know and I can provide you with the information I have.

For more information, including statistical information, visit the following sites.

American Academy of Pediatrics - car safety seats and transportation safety; click HERE
Safe Kids homepage; click HERE
Safe Kids USA - child passenger safety; click HERE
Safe Kids USA - injury trends fact sheet; click HERE
Safe Kids USA- find a car seat check up and check your state's laws; click HERE

p.s. My intent is not to offend anyone or make anyone feel bad if they have made some mistakes. There is A LOT of information out there and it can be very confusing and overwhelming, especially as a first time parent. I enjoy reading articles and research, so I spend a lot of time keeping up with current trends on this subject. The average person probably isn't interested in reading all of the stuff out there, which is why I put together the most important information."

Jefra's blog is http://ryanandjefra.blogspot.com/ - if you have any questions.

2 comments:

Emily :) said...

Thank you so much for posting this article on your blog. It is amazing how much I learned just by reading it!!! :) And I can't believe that 84% of people don't use the car seat right. WOW! That is definitely too high of a percentage!

Tina said...

Thank you Shirley for posting this! It is a great reminder to make sure you are always putting your precious baby in the car seat correctly- every time! The biggest thing I got from it was to make sure the chest clip was in the correct place. That was a great reminder. Thanks again!