Thursday, December 30, 2010

Gene M. Richards


My dear grandpa passed away last night.

He had a stroke about three weeks ago while on his cruise to Europe and Brazil.

I am not one that is eloquent with words, but I laid awake last night trying to come up with what I might say. I decided to write my memories of him and how grateful I am to be his granddaughter.

My grandpa was ALWAYS there for me and my family, no matter what. He supported me in so many ways and made sure that I was taken care of.

My early memories come from our yearly summer trips to Utah when we lived in California. Grandpa was a dentist and that always included a trip to have our teeth checked out. We would always get a snapped Polaroid with Dr. Richards and I remember once having a really crazy dream on the laughing gas. :)

Every summer he took us to Lake Powell and spent hours driving the boat around as we learned how to ski and carefully dunked us off the tube. He taught us how to fish off the boat, bought us an ice cream at the marina, and let us feed the disgustingly huge cat fish things in the water.

I also remember as a little girl going up to the cabin at Brighton and sledding down the hill. Grandpa had snow mobiles and would pick us up at the bottom and take us back up as many times as we wanted. He loved watching us have fun.

When we moved to Utah, he was such a big help. My dad didn't have work so Grandpa let us live in one of his rental houses. It's still the house my mom lives in today. He supported me in everything I did. He came to every choir concert, musical, and performance that I was in.

When I would perform in church, Grandpa would be sure to be there too. Not only was he there, but he would get so choked up when he heard me sing. He always let me know how proud he was of me after every performance.

When I graduated high school, which he also attended :), I prepared to go to SUU and had a half tuition scholarship there. For my graduation present, Grandpa gave me the other half of the tuition for a year. It was such a generous gift. He was very supportive of me in my schooling and I know that my graduating from UVSC Summa Cum Laude was a proud moment for him.

A story he liked to talk about, and that I'll never forget, is when he helped me get my first car my freshman year of college. I came up from Cedar City to get it and he told me to make sure to head back to Cedar while it was still light. I told him okay, but ignored the advice and left around 10 p.m. Half way there the clutch in the car went out. I was stranded 15 miles before Beaver. Luckily I had just got a cell phone so I called my Grandpa for help. He told me to call 911 to have a highway patrol man help me and then he set up a tow truck and all the fixing of the car. He was NOT happy that I ignored him, but was still there for me when I needed someone most.

Grandpa loved family gatherings and made sure that his family was able to do fun things. We always celebrate birthdays and special occasions. Grandpa has a cabin in Brighton where we all go as a family every 4th of July. The branch there puts on a breakfast and Grandpa pays for the whole family - telling Jared that he can get the steak. :) It is such a great tradition and it will never be the same without him.

Grandpa loved the fact that Jared went on his mission to Brazil, the same country that Grandpa served in. Every time they saw each other, they would talk about Brazil. Grandpa loved the country and Jared got bonus points for serving there. He also got bonus points from being from the same county that Grandpa grew up in, Bingham Idaho! Grandpa loved his Idaho roots! He supported me in marrying Jared and I think he was pretty proud of the choice I made.

We have a water reunion every year in the summer. We've gone a few different places and the last few years Grandpa hasn't been able to do that much heavy labor, but still provided the fun. Last summer, we had a local reunion and went up to Deer Creek. For a few hours, I went on a boat and my mom and Ryan hung out on the beach with Grandpa. Ryan loved Grandpa! He never had to be reminded about who he was, he just automatically liked him. While on the beach, Ryan would share grapes with Grandpa, or cookies, or anything. Not any one else though, just Grandpa. It's one of my favorite memories of him as a great-grandpa.

Grandpa also provided our annual Richards golf tournament. Family was so important to him. He knew that activities like this hold us together. I think our family does more than most families and that is due to Grandpa.

He loved his family so much and he loved being around them. He would do anything for any of us, and often did. His support didn't go unnoticed in my life. I appreciate everything he did for me and I hope that I was a good grand daughter to him and have lived my life to make him proud.

I am so glad that Grandpa was here for Ryan to be born, and he was here to stand in the circle at his blessing. He will be sorely missed at this new baby's blessing. Most people have grandparents, but I am positive that I am one of the few that was lucky enough to have such close special relationships with mine. I love my grandpa so much and I will miss him everyday. I am grateful for the church and the plan on salvation. I can see him already going to work and being so happy to see all those that have gone before him. He will still be here watching over all of us and supporting us, just in a different way.

I will cherish the last moments that I had with him. On Christmas Eve, we went and visited Grandpa in the hospital. Steven and I went in first. Grandpa was unconscious and I always am unsure what to say. Everyone says that he can hear me, but without any indication from him, I just was sort of left speechless. I decided that I would just sing to him. Steven and I sang Christmas songs to him for about 30 minutes. I also sang regular hymns or children's hymns. In the middle of singing, he was moving his arm like he was directing and moving his index finger to the beat. He also touched his chest a few times. I think he was just communicating his love for us. His favorite thing from me was hearing me sing and it was really special to be able to do that for him. I know he heard me and I know that he knew I love him. He held my hand really tight and when it was time to go, he wouldn't let go. I wish that I could've stayed with him longer and be there for him as he has been there for me. Letting go of his hand was hard. I told him I loved him and that was the last time I saw him.

It really is so weird to think that he is really gone. This upcoming year is going to be a hard one. I will still continue to live my life in a way that he will be proud. I will cherish all the memories that I have of him and share them with my children so that they can know of him and how special he was.

I love you, Grandpa! Thank you for all that you are and your example. Watch over us and know that we will be okay. We will take care of each other. :) Good bye, Grandpa. Until we meet again.


Grandpa and his dog KoKo


10 comments:

southernbelleang said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your grandpa sounds like he was a wonderful man. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

Natalie said...

Shirley I'm so sorry to hear this news. Our prayers are with you guys!

Shelley said...

So sorry for your loss. :(

Jenn Oldham said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa! My grandpa passed away today too. CRAZY huh! Maybe they are up there hanging out together.

Ben and Cjirsten said...

Very touching post! Brought tears to my eyes! I am only a phone call away :)

Jefra said...

What a great grandpa! I'm so sorry for your loss.

Paul + Emily said...

Just reading your post about your Grandpa made me cry. He sounds like such a wonderful man!! I am so sorry!! It was absolutely amazing for me to read your post and to feel how much he meant to you and how much he has touched your life. It sounds like you guys had a very special relationship. I know that he is watching over you and your family!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys!!

The Larchars said...

I just spent some time with my grandpa today. It was wonderful. I was thinking about how sad I would be to see him go- and then I saw your blog. I am so sorry- I hope you are doing ok! Take care!!!

Lisa said...

I miss my dad. He is ok and peace now. He is with his parents and his brother, Ray. Ray had hiking accident in Idaho. He lost balance and fall...killed before his calling mission. My dad was on his mission at this time.

I felt weird he was absent when my family and I were together at grandma s house on Christmas Day. We all missed him. My dad's special christmas gift was his best visitors from us on Christmas Day all day while he was in the hospital ICU.

I am amazing my sister Holly took him with each child and each grandchild include Ryan, one great grandchild last April which we had birthday party for him.

I am amazing he and my mother went 3 weeks cruise vacation and they spend time together along with my aunt (my dad's sister) and her husband. The cruise went across the ocean from Italy to Brazil. He loved Brazil very much because he was on his mission there for 2 1/2 years and he had two or three trips to Brazil in the past years.

I think he knew his time was finished. We miss him.

He does his best to support me because I am profoundly deaf. I went to speical school all years. He does support my children, too.

I never forget when we lived in California. He asked me...where I choose a speical place, so we can go for fun. I chose Medieval Times in Buena Park, CA. He said sure let's go. My dad, my mother, Shirley, Steven, Nancy (three are my children) and I went there. Wow we had fun time. I LOVED Medieval Times...it was much fun. We ate with our hands without any silverware. We watched the show. It was fun!!! I want go again someday.

See website Medieval Times:

http://www.medievaltimes.com/

My dad always took us out to the beach, Magic Mountain, and some places to have fun while we lived in CA. When we moved to Utah. He took us to Lake Powell, Bear Lake, Brighton cabin and few places. I know he loves outdoor activities.

well, I miss him. we will see him again next life.

Dwaine and Dorothy said...

That was perfectly said. If you need a shoulder to cry on I am here.