Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Made My Own Moby Wrap!


I go to an online community for women with babies Ryan's age, Babycenter.com, and asked women where I could purchase a Moby Wrap in person since I wanted to have a carrier before the move. One woman responded that I just make my own. All I needed to do was get 5-6 yards of a jersey knit from a fabric store, cut it in half, and voila!

I went to JoAnn's Fabric store and they only had knits that were ugly, thick, and cost $14.99 a yard! I might as well buy the name brand! Then someone on the community board mentioned finding a t-shirt knit at Wal-Mart. I hate Wal-Mart, but to save that much money, I thought I'd try it. Well I found a really cute fabric for $2.24 a yard! So basically, since they are cut in half, I have two wraps for $12! It is a little thinner than I would like, but summer is coming up so not that big of a deal.

If you want to make one, I would suggest getting 6 yards. I got 5 because they said 6 was for women on the large side, and maybe I am, but the wrap wouldn't wrap around to the front like it is supposed to. Not a big deal, but if you want it to, then definitely get 6 yards. The instruction on how to use it can be found on Moby Wrap's website, or just youtube it for different ways to wrap. There are lots of different ways, breastfeeding ones, too. Not sure if we'll ever get it down enough to use that wrap, but maybe someday! Anyway, here's to being hands free!!



He definitely likes looking out instead. He tolerates being tummy to tummy. His control of his head is awesome! Still wobbly, but I was amazed at how well he held it in the front facing position. We may just do this to practice his head holding skills!! :)

10 comments:

Just the 3 of us said...

That is awesome! Good for you :) I love BabyCenter.com. It is the best thing ever! I was on it alll the time after I had Jaden.

Tina said...

Wow! I didn't know you could use it in so many different ways! I only knew of one which didn't work for us. Maybe it will work for us after all. It looks WAY cute! I may be making one for myself soon. Then I will need some help knowing how to use it. I am excited!

Lindsey said...

Wow! I am so impressed. You are a crafty woman.

Chris and Corie said...

Wow!!! Look at crafty you :). I may have to check out that site!

Chris and Corie said...

Question - after you buy the fabric, you cut it in half length-wise (like a hot dog fold)?

Nancy said...

You are so creative! That's awesome. I love it.

Missy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Missy said...

Thank goodness for Mom websites-eh. This wrap looks like it works so much better than the other one did. The look on Ryans face in the first picture is just so funny and cute! :)

Emily :) said...

That is amazing!!! You are so talented!!I can see how that is going to be sooo helpfil!!!

Grandma and Grandpa Roush said...

This is so cleaver!!! I bet it doesn't even take a college education to do it!!! heh heh Grandma