Monday, December 3, 2012

20 Weeks

Today marks my 20 week mark in my pregnancy with Annie. I can't even believe it has been just two weeks since we lost her. It feels like months.

I don't even know what to say. There is SO much to say and so much I want to keep to myself.

Yesterday was a day of miracles. We talked about miracles in Sunday School, and as I wrote to Annie that night in my journal, I couldn't help but tell her how blessed we are.

This is going to sound really weird, and this is the part I feel like I should keep to myself, but maybe I feel like I need to write it for someone else who may go through this.

Finding out the baby was a girl two weeks later has been kind of a blessing. It's truly amazing and a miracle. I still feel like I lost two children. And I don't know when that will change, if ever. When I think of my baby, I think of my Tanner who I held in blue blankets at the hospital. I mourned that baby boy. When I think about missing my baby, that is who I think of. But when I think of my daughter, (and it brings tears to my eyes every time) I think of her spirit. I think of her as in her 20's. She looks kind of like me, but a little taller and skinnier (of course!) and she has the warmest glow about her. She has a smile on her face... she is dressed in white just like at the temple. When I think of Anne, I can't help but feel joy and be so proud of her. She is perfect and so special. And how lucky are we as a family to have her as an angel watching over us? And how lucky are we to know we have a daughter who is perfect and will receive all the blessings of heaven without all the pain of this world? It is such a beautiful experience.

Another miracle I realized is my friend Michelle. All she did was something simple, but it helped me immensely. She reached out to me after I had a little time to grieve and share her experience and love. She sent me her blog that has letters to her angel Emma. In those posts, I could feel her testimony, and I see this whole experience as her letting me borrow her testimony for a little bit. I never had to let go of my baby and just work on feeling better, I still had my sadness while I read about the joy in having a Heavenly Father who loves us and how special having an angel baby is. And as much as it stinks, it really is special. I can't even explain the deep contrasting feelings I have. But in just a few short days, I have remembered my testimony and felt it grow. Instead of knowing He is there when I am ready, I felt Him. I didn't even have to go to Him... thanks to my dear friend.

We went to our niece's wedding on Saturday and it was so spiritual. I know that they won't remember what their sealer said, but I always will. I am so grateful for eternal families and my eternal companion. I love him so much, and the bond we have has been strengthened so much through losing our baby. And I felt my daughter there, holding my hand and comforting me.

Another miracle is that I got up and bore my testimony in church yesterday. A few days before that I would have told you that I absolutely never would have done that. But when I woke up that morning, I wrote to Annie and when I was done, I knew I needed to get up. And getting up was the best thing I could have done. It allowed me to tell everyone what happened, how sad I was, but how thankful I am for a loving Heavenly Father. And I cried a ton... and I didn't cry the rest of church. I think if I hadn't have gotten up, I would have had a really hard time the rest of the meetings. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was a miracle. It allowed me to give my ward family permission to talk to me and love me. After Young Women's my beehives came up with lots of hugs. I was so scared of what they would say, and it was better than I could have imagined. I am so blessed.

Another miracle was a man in my ward who I won't name. I didn't know him, but he came up to me after I sacrament to tell me how much I touched him. Then he told me a beautiful quote on how those who mourn are best able to mourn with those that mourn. And how true this is! I asked him to write it down, because I have a terrible memory. Later that night, as I was finishing up decorating our home for Christmas I heard a knock on the door. Jared was putting Ryan to bed so I answered it. It was this man. He again told me how much he felt for me and then handed me a bill. I looked down and couldn't believe the amount. I grabbed his arm and told him he didn't have to do that, and he said he knew he didn't have to, but he wanted to. While I was holding his arm, I could feel the spirit. He was my spirit brother and felt his love. We didn't know each other, but he still loved me. I felt Christ's love.

In all of this, even though I didn't want to feel it for awhile, I know that I am loved. I know that I wasn't given this trial. After lots of pondering and discussion, this is something that sadly happened, but we are loved. Everything is taken care of. We have a knowledge of the plan of salvation, of life after death, and eternal families. And a knowledge of kindness and charity. How could I ignore all of these miracles and wallow in my sadness? I just couldn't. Even though I still miss my baby and mourn "them", I feel peace.

Another thing that I experienced this weekend was the image of my daughter with her grandma. Jared's mom passed away 6 years ago, and I don't know why, but I didn't even think about this image until Saturday. I have always felt sad that my children would never know their grandma in this life. She was an amazing woman and loved so well. And I realized that I do have a child that will know her and she gets her all to herself for a while. How lucky is she?

Tomorrow would be our big ultrasound to check the baby. It feels like a different life. I think I will go to the temple and spend time with her that way. I am so grateful for temples and a place where the veil is thin.

Even with all of this, I still hurt, I just have joy as well. I need to know those around me remember her and ask how I am doing. The best thing for a mother who has been through losing a child is being allowed to talk about them, even if it means crying and knowing they are safe doing it. It's hard thinking everyone has moved on and you are afraid to mention it because "you should be over it by now." Or people just want you to be happy and not sad any more and you watch what you say because you don't want to make them sad. It's a very difficult feeling. I remember how it feels on the other side... but my knowledge has been opened to a new way to mourn with those that mourn. Just like the quote the man gave me. Through this I have a new gift, that I can help others as they go through these terrible things.

I miss it. I was pregnant with a baby girl. But my soul is bursting with thankfulness and the spirit is so strong, and I know it is my Annie helping me. I have my own angel. I love her so much, and I would go through it all over again to make sure I had her as my daughter. How lucky am I?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Shirley, this is beautiful. I'm glad you are able to write about your thoughts and feelings. They have really touched me. Just wanted you to know, you don't ever have to worry about "making me sad" - I will always be happy to talk with you about your lovely daughter, and celebrate her and mourn her with you. Love you.

:: ashley :: said...

Shirley, I lost a baby back in March, and it was really hard for me just at 9 weeks, so I can even imagine how much harder it must be for as long as you carried her. I think you have some great support, and perspective and hopefully that will help you heal. I know what you mean, I really wanted to talk about it when it happened to me- and everyone just acted like they were walking on eggshells around me and never even acknowledged it. Its really hard. I love you and am keeping your family in my prayers!

Mommy said...

Shirley,
I loved your post! Its beautiful! Thank you for lifting me up today! Love you, Michelle

Melissa said...

Thank you for opening up to us and letting us morn with you. I know that was very hard. We all want to love you and know it almost feels like you have given us permission to. If you ever need to just talk or if you ever need a book or someone to help you clean house just let me know:}

KW said...

Crying again. Very beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Jefra said...

What a roller coaster this has been for you! Thank you for your honest insight and perspective. By reading it, it helps me to have more compassion, understanding, and appropriate responses to others who might be going through similar trials. My friend lost a baby at 24 weeks, in the same way you did. He would have been the exact same age as Cannon. Her sweet angel baby is not forgotten and never will be and although he has passed, he still has an influence on others. Little Annie is such a special spirit and must have much work to do on the other side. I am grateful that you have a knowledge of eternal families and what an example you are for others.

Lisa said...

Shirley,

I love your story about your angel girl Annie. Today I showed Grandma Ann your blog and she read your article. She doesn’t say anything because I had to go soon. I hope she calls you and talks to you.

How interesting about Jared’s mother, she is with Annie in the heaven. She takes care of Annie smile.

After read about Jared’s mother, I started to think that my baby boy Peter and your angel baby girl Annie are together, talk each other and play each other. They are niece and uncle. Cool?

I was 13 weeks pregnant with Peter and he was fourth child. He was your young brother. I had bleeding and went to see OB/OYN doctor. He said that 70% pregnant women had bleeding and continued pregnant until full term baby and gave babies birth. I went home and had bleeding for two days. At night, I felt cramp and realized it was labor…5 minutes apart one time then 3 minutes apart one time then one minute apart one time. I went to bathroom and felt strong contraction longer so I moved to the sink and I delivered the baby out. I was very shock to see the baby body. He had face, eyes, nose, mouth, arms, legs, ten fingers and ten toes. I don’t know what to do. I looked closer and it was a boy. Then I went to bed and I had cramps a lot and had bleeding. I asked Gary/Dad to call the doctor. The doctor asked me how much bleed I had. It was a little. The doctor said I stay in the bed and take Tylenol. I did and went to sleep. Next morning, I went to see the doctor and he checked me and I had everything ok. The doctor said that I don’t need D & C since I heard most friends had D & C. I was surprised. I asked the doctor that why I don’t need it. He said that because the baby came out with the placenta and the water bag. It was natural. I asked him why I lost the baby. He said that he doesn’t know. I was grieving and kept wondering “why?” I brought the baby body home. Gary/Dad and I buried him in the backyard in California. We named him Peter after Gary’s/Dad’s boss at Litton Computer Service named Peter.

I was upset because I wanted four children…two girls and two boys. That would be perfect children. Well, I lost one boy.

I still think of Peter like he attended kindergarten school, high school, play sports, graduated, attend college, went on his mission and came home from his mission. If he is alive, he would be 22 years old now. I wonder he will get married soon just like Steven did. Smile I love him.

You can think of Annie whatever you want throughout years like school, dress beautiful, hair, college, date boys, and get married. Enjoy your dreams about Annie like I do.

I love you, Shirley!!! You have two beautiful sons Ryan and Brady and handsome Jared. You have wonderful family, all of us (families) love you smile.

Heavenly Fahter want you to know he loves you very much. He gave you beautiful blessings about Annie. You are brave woman, brave mother, brave wife for Jared and brave daughter for me and dad.

Love Mom

Nancy said...

You have always had a way with words and this is beautifully written. I love the thought of Anne getting to spend time with her Grandma. And the thought of loving your two separate babies - Anne and Tanner. And I'll forever think this is a special, sacred experience for you to grow and learn so much. I love the memories you'll cherish of holding your little 'boy' in the hospital and the happy thoughts of your 20 year old taller and skinner (of course ;) daughter in heaven. That makes sense. And had this happened any other way, it wouldn't quite feel right, yet that sounds funny to say.

I love you. Thank you so much for your honesty. We need more of this in the world. And we need more of people keeping those little special memories just to themselves too so I'd say you're doing it just right of sharing them yet keeping the special ones in your heart.

Alesha said...

I found your blog through Kristins (oddly enough I had actually found you pregnancy/exercise blog a few years ago when I was pregnant and then again through Kirstin, weird I know haha)

Anyway I just wanted to tell you your story is touching me. Even being someone who has lost a child it still touches me to read another story. Someone else who feels this pain and chooses to make life better because of their special angel.

Thank you.

Alesha said...

And ps I so agree on people not forgetting your baby. I find I always bring up my angel even to strangers just because I want people to know about him.