Friday, March 12, 2010

My Sweet Grandma Roush

Last Thursday my grandma was involved in a car accident. She plays the organ in the morning in the Draper Temple. Usually she has to be there at 5 am! On her way home from playing, she got in a car accident just a few blocks from home.

We think she fell asleep at the wheel and hit a stopped truck going 40 miles per hour. Grandma was still coherent, but could not move her arms. I was able to go and see her later that day and I ached so bad for her. She is a woman that can't be stopped. She has the best heart, the sweetest spirit, and a love for healthy living. Most people can't say that their grandma is one of their best friends, but I can, and am so lucky to be able to have that.

Grandma broke her spine in two places and also has a fracture in her skull. She is also experiencing double vision. When we visited yesterday, she said how lovely the both of us were; she was talking about the two of me she was seeing. :) Even though she has these injuries, I know she will recover fully. She seriously is one that can't be stopped. She has such a strong desire to live life to the fullest, and I know she will work as hard as possible to get better. In fact, she will probably need to be reminded to rest often.

I love my grandma so much. I feel so blessed to have been born in her family. She is the most thoughtful person I know. She is also one of Ryan's biggest fans. She LOVES reading this blog and seeing all the pictures of him. When I went to visit her on the first day at the hospital, she just wanted to see Ryan, but kids under 14 weren't allowed in the ICU. She kept asking me to see if they could make an exception. :) I want Ryan to know how much his great grandma loved him. When the nurse said he couldn't come in, she said, "but he's the cutest baby in the world! He really is!" Oh how I love my grandma!

I just wish I could do more for her. Luckily, she has so many people who love her and are able to be with her and support her as she is going through this. I hope she is able to make a full recovery, mentally as well as physically. We're still praying for her and she knows there are angels assisting her.

I only have a few pictures taken with her recently. This has made me realize that I need to take more in the future. This picture was taken because she gave Ryan this quilt. The animals are cross stitches that she made when she was in Young Women's. I feel so lucky that we have inherited these and that they were made into a beautiful quilt we can enjoy.

Isn't she gorgeous? I love her so much! Thank you to all those that prayed for her and the good thoughts that were sent her way. She still has a long road to recovery, so more prayers are always appreciated.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm sorry Shirley! That's the worst, when someone is hurt, and you can't help them. I always feel so helpless!

I hope she feels better!

Jefra said...

That's so sad! I just can't take it when elderly people are hurt. I hope she makes a speedy recovery and gets out of the ICU soon so she can see Ryan! Babies always help you feel better!

Emily :) said...

I am so sorry about your Grandma Roush! It is so amazing how quick things happen! I am so glad to hear that she is doing better! She sounds like such a remarkable lady and such a sweet Grandma and Great Grandma to little Ryan!

Ben and Cjirsten said...

Oh your poor grandma! I am glad she is okay though, that is pretty scary